The Seattle Times. Winner of Eight Pulitzer Prizes.

Sun, Jan 25, 2015




Updated Friday, December 14, 2012 at 06:07 AM

Kansas baby who swallowed feather out of hospital

The Associated Press

The father of a baby who apparently swallowed a feather from a pillow says she is home from the hospital in Kansas and doing well.

The nearly 7-month-old girl, Mya Whittington, was hospitalized during the weekend while doctors tried to determine why her jaw swelled. Eventually, a doctor pulled a 2-inch feather out of her neck.

The girl's father, Aaron Whittington, told the Hutchinson News ( on Wednesday that the baby was home from the hospital. Doctors decided not to treat an area on her neck that has a hard knot in it. They say the area will heal on its own.

The child has become something of a media star. Aaron Whittington says the family has received numerous requests for interviews to discuss his daughter's unusual medical drama.


Information from: The Hutchinson (Kan.) News,

This Dec. 11, 2012 photo shows 6-month-old Mya Whittington in Hutchinson, Kan. The marked area on the neck of Whittington shows the size of the original swollen infected area that was caused by a feather that she ingested from a feather pillow. The feather made its exit through a swollen infected pimple looking area about one-and-one-half the size of a golf ball on her neck.

This Dec. 11, 2012 photo shows an approximately two-inch feather was pulled from the neck of 6-month old Mya Whittington in Hutchinson, Kan.


Top News arrow

Latest News arrow

Local arrow

Nation & World arrow

Business & Technology arrow

Editorial & Opinion arrow

Sports arrow

Entertainment arrow

Living arrow

Travel & Outdoors arrow

Obituaries arrow


Jobs arrow

Autos arrow

Homes & Rentals arrow

More Classifieds arrow